Saturday, October 22, 2011

Forgive me for I have sinned....

Well lets just say I have done what I had to do, within my constraints.
I did some research and concluded that I just needed to tidy it all up as best as I could, which is exactly what I did. I got to the piston with some fine wet and dry, gently as she goes and got all the carbon and most of the light scoring, on closer inspection it wasn't as bad as I first thought, I polished the piston top and the cylinder head as well. I also scraped the old gasket off with a razor and sanded it clean too. Happy I was ready to start putting it all back together, "now where is that gasket set I ordered months ago? there it is....WTF!!" I ordered a full gasket kit when I first got the Sprint, knowing full well I'd need it one day, that day was today and I was absolutely certain I ordered a three port set, certain, I'd known for months before I even got the scoot that it had a three port engine.....the cylinder base gasket was a two port, here we go again. Since I had demolished the other one, it was back to the drawing board. As mentioned before, I need the scoot running, So my first impulse was to at least get hold of some gasket paper and that would have to do until I can get an order in from Melbourne next week.....or I could try a gasket sealant type of product, but most of them work with an actual gasket......or in true bodge fashion I could have a crack at making one. I tried plan A first.


 This is what the crafty Vietnamese would do......

 SUPER dodgey, these little shims were in between the piston rings and piston in the ring groove..WTF
0.8 gasket paper would have to do for now
Old versus new.
Now to put it back together. It's not ideal but the piston is buggered, the barrel is more than likely buggered too, there is very little scuffing in there and I believe that the piston may have been stuffed long before I got my hands on it. I'll get some new rings and see how I go, if it shits itself and dies then I'll get new kit.
Oh the joys. Now back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment