Monday, January 28, 2013

Australia Day

For many Australians it's about celebrating our lucky country, a few beers with friends and family, a BBQ, backyard cricket, this year for me it was about leaving home in the dark to ride the 100kms to Ballarat, through grazing country, sown crops an amazing golden hue, flocks of sheep, quiet towns, I had the road to myself and the rising sun to my right left a smile on my face. Once fueled up, me and the scooter, I arrived and began to load the scoot on a trailer with an apple green 150 Super with a P engine, I had been invited to join a fellow scooterist and his partner on one of Melbourne's scooter scenes annual event hosted by Scooterhead SC, its a geared and classic scooter event only and is open to all. We parked in a quiet Williamstown street and after I finally got going, the trailer ends up flooding the engine by bumping about, rode through the city, an unusual event for me but I found it a great experience, there ended up being 17 scoots and about 25 people, we met in a Collingwood cafe and after the usual coffee and chatter we rode out through the Dandenongs to a little pub near Belgrave, there is something ironicly soothing about riding the twisties through old growth forest on both sides, through little arty villages, all in the while burning 2T oil, I've ridden with a few scoots before but never this many two stroke machines, aaaahhhh the sweet sweet smell.
After lunch we rode back though town, trailered up and my hosts were kind enough to drop me in Geelong and I buzzed the quiet Cape Otway Rd home, tired and saddle sore, the entire day was 330kms. My fuel usage was 26 km per litre.
The rest of the weekend was based around cleaning the Smallie's parts, I'll cover that another time.









1 comment:

  1. Nice post, like the top shot, re-blogged here - http://vespamore-uk.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/australia-day.html

    ReplyDelete